Niche websites are still popular with many people seeking ways to make money online, while providing content and information on a specific topic. Niche sites, which are quite a number over the internet, have become the source of income for many entrepreneurs that want to create an online presence.
Niche Websites are No Longer the Easy Option for Internet Marketers
However, the landscape of niche sites has gradually changed over the years with some internet users turning more to authority sites for information. Also, search engines such as Google have also been a bit stringent on the sites resulting in the downgrading of some of them within their page rankings. These changes have negatively affected niche sites as they are no longer as profitable as they were some years back.
Should You Rule Out the Possibility of Building A Profitable Niche Website?
Nevertheless, there are still some ways in which niche websites can be used to make money. Initially, the process of setting up a niche site was very simple as it only involved the finding of keywords, getting a domain that matches it exactly and creating spammy backlinks and soon the site would be number one on the Google rankings. However, with focus of search engines being on quality rather than quantity, owners of niche websites have to find other ways of making profit from them. Some of the best ways to benefit financially from niche websites include:
1. It is important to make a decision whether the website will be Affiliate or an Ad Sense niche sites which are different from each other. Ad Sense sites are those whereby a keyword is selected and then content is added gradually to it so that it can generate passive income. Alternatively, affiliate sites are websites where products are promoted and a commission earned every time a product is purchased.
2. The niche on which the website will focus on also goes a long way in determining whether the site will be profitable or not. Also, it is important to decide on the product that will be sold on the website and then find keywords that will be used in building up content on the site with the best ones being those that have been searched for averagely a thousand to two thousand times a month.
3. Thorough keyword research is essential, get it wrong at this stage and you could be flogging a dead horse for years to come. If you don’t know what you are doing here, it’s best to leave it to professionals. Blog Munchies offer an extensive, affordable keyword research service. Contact us for more details.
4. Getting the domain name is another crucial step in setting up a niche site but it should not match the keyword exactly (emd) as this may lead to penalties. The keyword can be in the domain name but in a way that is not too obvious. As soon as a domain name has been selected, the next step is to sign up with a hosting provider for the site to be active.
5. Get a good theme and upload content onto the niche site in a gradual way, two or three times a week is enough. The amount of articles on the site should be at least 20 to keep it highly ranked and also include manually set backlinks so that the site gets to the search engine’s front page resulting in clicks and money.
6. Don’t rely solely on Google as your main source of traffic, get into the habit of promoting your posts on social media and forums for maximum exposure. This way, if you do get penalised by Google down the line your entire source of income will not be lost. It’s not difficult to build up a good strategy for post promotion, but it can be time consuming – read how I do this for Blog Munchies here.
So, Is it Still Possible to Make Money from Niche Websites?
In short, we really hope so! The latest project from Blog Munchies, in association with Pat Flynn’s Niche Site Duel, has been to build a profitable niche website from scratch.
We’re fully confident that this project will be a success, and there’s no reason why you can’t do it to, the work involved is simple, but that should not be confused with easy! The key to a profitable niche website is the initial research, followed by effort and determination.
Want it easy? Get someone else to do it all for you! Blog Munchies can build your site from scratch, including everything you need for a successful, profitable website:
- Domain name / hosting choice
- Logo / site design
- Keyword Research
- Social Media Management
- Backlinks (including guest posting)
Contact us today to put together your own custom blog package.